Prevented a Conflagration
Special to the Washington Post.
Winchester, Va., Jan. 21.–An early morning fire at the Miller Supply Company’s building on Water street this morning, in the business part of the town, caused several hundred dollars’ damage. The fire was discovered in the oil and paint room. While the room was filled with flames Robert Smith and William Keating rushed into the burning place and carried a twenty—gallon can of gasoline to safety. The gasoline can was so hot that it was handled with difficulty. Had it exploded the result would have been disastrous. The fire was caused by a lighted match falling into a can of oil.
Source: Prevented a Conflagration, The Washington Post, Washington, District of Columbia, 22 January 1905, p. 6.