Thomas Keating (1836 – 1894), John Joseph Keating (1871 – ??)

Thomas Keating, son of Thomas and Bridget (Brophy) Keating, born in town of Old Beg, parish of Borris, Edron East, Carlo county, Ireland, 1836, died at Melrose, Massachusetts, January 4, 1894, aged fifty-nine years. He received his education in the common schools of his native parish. He left home at the age of thirteen, 1849, coming with the great movement of population from Ireland to America. He obtained employment as a gardener in Melrose, Massachusetts, and passed the remainder of his life in that town. He invested his savings in the livery stable business, during his early manhood, and built up a flourishing establishment from a humble beginning. His stable was located near the Wyoming station, and he became known as an expert judge of horses, being a careful buyer and trader. Mr. Keating was a Democrat in national affairs, independent in municipal affairs, and never sought or held public office.

Thomas Keating married (first), 1858, at Sacred Immaculate Conception Church, Malden, Massachusetts, Rose Powder, and their children were: 1. Thomas H., born May 10, 1860, at Melrose; piano maker; Emerson Piano Company of Boston; married, October 25, 1881, Rosalie M. Beh, of Boston; reared a large family; resides at Roslindale, Massachusetts. 2. James P., born March 14, 1864, at Melrose, afterwards resided in New York City. Thomas Keating married (second), 1868 at “Tommy’s Rock” St. Joseph’s Church, Boston, Ann Fleming, born in Borradagh, parish of Ballinoe, Cork county, Ireland. Children: 3. William E., born September 24, 1869, at Melrose, married, June 29, 1898, Jennie D. Prior, of Randolph, Massachusetts; four children: Joseph, Mary, Marguerite and Josephine; William E. is an electrical superintendent of Boston & Northern Railroad. 4. John J., born April 2, 1871, in Melrose, mentioned below. 5. Philip S., born November 26, 1874, at Melrose, married, July 21, 1903, Agnes McSweeney, of Revere, Massachusetts; has one son, Paul Sylvester, born December 31, 1907; Philip S. is engaged in the livery business.

(II) John Joseph Keating, son of Thomas and Ann (Fleming) Keating, was born in Melrose, Massachusetts, April 2, 1871. He was educated in the public schools of Melrose, graduating from the high school. He started upon a mercantile career as clerk in the store Hawley, Folsom & Martin, of Boston, wholesale dealers in men’s furnishing goods, and continued with the concern for four years. The following seven years he served as clerk for the firm of Farrar & Selee in the same line of business at Melrose. In 1898 he embarked in business in clothing and furnishing goods for men in a store in the Post Office bock. He was successful from the first and his store prospered. In 1900 he had outgrown the original store and concluded to take larger quarters; accordingly he removed to his present location at Nos. 510-512 Main street. He carries a large stock of men’s furnishing goods and clothing. He is independent in politics. He is a member of the Young Men’s Catholic Lyceum and was its first president, serving three years, and was formerly a director of the Melrose Cycle Club in its palmy days. He is a charter fourth degree member of Melrose Council, Knights of Columbus, and has held in succession all the offices in that body including that of grand knight. He is a member of Melrose Lodge, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and a life member of the Melrose Athletic Club. He is a charter member and vice-president of the Melrose Board of Trade, was formerly its secretary for five years and active in the work of the board. Mr. Keating has devoted much time and energy to the matter of encouraging home industries as much as possible. He is fond of outdoor sports and a leader in athletics in Melrose, having served as chairman of Old Home Week and July 4th athletic committees many times. He is one of the most popular and best known of the younger business men of the city.

He married, at Melrose, February 24, 1908, Adah Marie, daughter of Mrs. Helen A. Nelson, of New Haven, Connecticut.


Source: Cutter, William Richard, Genealogical and Personal Memoirs Relating to the Families of Boston and Eastern Massachusetts, Volume IV, published 1908 by the Lewis Historical Publishing Company, New York, pp. 2162-2163. Available via books.google.com.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *