John Charles Keating
b. between 8 June 1829 and 7 June 1830, d. 2 September 1896
John Charles Keating|b. bt 8 Jun 1829 - 7 Jun 1830\nd. 2 Sep 1896|p21.htm|Patrick Keating|d. at the age of fifty|p195.htm|Mary E. Murphy||p193.htm|John C. Keating||p194.htm|Elizabeth Kilmartin||p494.htm|(?) Murphy||p641.htm||||
Relationship=2nd great-grandfather of John William Keating III.
John Charles Keating was born between 8 June 1829 and 7 June 1830 at County Kildare, Ireland.2,3,4 He was the son of Patrick Keating and Mary E. Murphy.1 John Charles Keating married Julia C. Hyland, daughter of Andrew Hyland and Elizabeth Moore, on 27 February 1854 at Ballymore Eustace, County Kildare, Ireland; There is some question as to the year in which John and Julia were married.
John Charles Keating, the father of the Frostburg Keatings.
Their daughter Julia's letter to Jerry Counihan puts the marriage date at 15 March 1847. This date seems rather early, as John would have been 16. While it is not impossible that John was married at what to our eyes is a young age, I suspect he was older. Another reason to suspect this date is that their oldest child (Catherine) was born in 1855. There would have been an eight year delay between their marriage and their first child. Again, not impossible, just unlikely in this writer's eyes.
A third letter, from their son, Thomas P., also seems to indicate that they immigrated in 1853 and were married immediately before they left Ireland.
A letter from the Kildare Heritage Center puts the date of their marriage at 27 February 1854. This seems more likely. John would have been about 23 and it was only 1 year before the birth of their first child in 1855.
I lend the most credence to the 27 February 1854 date, as it comes from church records. (The researcher double-checked the date for me when I questioned it.) The two other dates should not be discounted however. They may be clues to other events, or one may even be the correct marriage date.5 John Charles Keating died on 2 September 1896 at Mt Hope Retreat, Baltimore, Baltimore County, Maryland, USA.6,7,8,9,10,11,12 He was buried on 4 September 1896 at St. Michael's Catholic Church, Frostburg, Allegany County, Maryland, USA.13,14,8
Last Edited=15 Nov 2008
Children of John Charles Keating and Julia C. Hyland
- Catherine Elizabeth Keating+ b. Dec 1855, d. 8 Apr 1912
- Mary E. Keating+ b. Jan 1857
- Thomas Patrick Keating+ b. 29 May 1859, d. 13 Feb 1946
- Sister Julia A. Keating b. 8 Oct 1861, d. 24 Jun 1948
- Sister Theresa Keating15 b. c 1864, d. bt 1896 - 1907
- Sister Agnes Keating b. 8 Feb 1867, d. 9 Dec 1958
- John William Keating+16 b. 20 May 1870, d. 10 Jun 1941
- [S79] Letter, Sister Agnes Keating to Jeremiah A. Counihan, 15 Aug 1948, "They had 5 boys and 2 girls."
- [S176] 1860 U.S. Federal Census, Frostburg, Allegany County, Maryland, Page: 85, "12 Aug 1870 [...] Caton John [...] 40 [...] Ireland."
- [S157] 1880 U.S. Federal Census, Mount Savage, Allegany County, Maryland, Page: 318A; Enumeration District: 13; Image: 0037, "Keating, John [...] 50 [...] Ireland."
- [S388] Julia Keating, Julia Keating Death Record, "John T. Keating [...] Kildare, Ireland."
- [S17] Letter, Karel Kiely The Kildare Heritage Project to John W. Keating III, "Ballymore Eustace RC parish: John Keating married Julia Hyland on 27.02.1854. Witnesses were Michael Curran & Celia Fennelly."
- [S6] Frostburg Mining Journal, 12 September 1896, "Brevities:
The Journal erred last week in stating that John Keating died at Sylvan Retreat, this county. He died at Mr. Hope retreat, Baltimore county. The Journal was fortunate in getting the name right, as the first report that reached the office was "John Cain died in Cumberland yesterday." The "intelligent" informant is often to blame for such mistakes."
- [S8] Mining Journal, 5 September 1896, "Died:
At Sylvan Retreat asylum Wednesday, Sept. 2, 1896, Mr. John Keating, of this place, at an advanced age. Funeral at St. Michael's church yesterday morning and interment in the church cemetery."
- [S9] John Charles Keating Gravestone, St. Michael's Cemetery, St. Michael's Cemetery, Frostburg, Allegany County, Maryland, USA, "John C. Keating / Native of / County Kildare, Ireland / Died Sept. 2 1896 / Aged 65 years."
- [S20] Mount Hope Staff, Mount Hope Retreat, "Name: John C. Keating, Age: 68, ..., Admission: May 15, 1896, ..., Discharge: September 2, 1896 Died. Ex. fm. Cerebral Congestion."
- [S21] John Charles Keating Photograph, late 19th century, John William Keating III, "Back of photo reads 'John Charles Keating/1831-1896.'"
- [S78] Baltimore American, 4 Sep 1896, "On September 2, 1896, in Baltimore county. JOHN C. KEATING, aged sixty-eight years."
- [S348] Evening Times, 03 September 1896, 6, "Mr. John Keating of this city, but recently an inmate of an asylum, died there yesterday. He will be brought to this city for internment."
- [S8] Mining Journal, 5 September 1896.
- [S78] Baltimore American, 4 Sep 1896, "Interment at Frostburg, Md., this Friday, 4th instant."
- [S157] 1880 U.S. Federal Census, Mount Savage, Allegany County, Maryland, Page: 318A; Enumeration District: 13; Image: 0037, "[Keating] Theresa [...] 16 [ Daughter] Maryland."
- [S68] Death Record for John William Keating, June 10, 1941, "Father Name: John Charles Keating."