Julia C. Hyland1,2
b. March 1827, d. 22 August 1907
Julia C. Hyland|b. Mar 1827\nd. 22 Aug 1907|p20.htm|Andrew Hyland||p210.htm|Elizabeth Moore|b. c 1805|p209.htm|George Hyland||p249.htm||||John Moore||p208.htm|Kathleen Clancy||p207.htm|
Relationship=2nd great-grandmother of John William Keating III.
Julia C. Hyland was born in March 1827 at County Kildare, Ireland.3,4,5 She was the daughter of Andrew Hyland and Elizabeth Moore. Julia C. Hyland married John Charles Keating, son of Patrick Keating and Mary E. Murphy, on 27 February 1854 at Ballymore Eustace, County Kildare, Ireland; There is some question as to the year in which John and Julia were married.
Julia C. (Hyland) Keating and daughter, possibly Catherine Elizabeth (Keating) Counihan.
Their daughter Julia's letter to Jerry Counihan puts the marriage date at 15 March 1847. This date seems rather early, as John would have been 16. While it is not impossible that John was married at what to our eyes is a young age, I suspect he was older. Another reason to suspect this date is that their oldest child (Catherine) was born in 1855. There would have been an eight year delay between their marriage and their first child. Again, not impossible, just unlikely in this writer's eyes.
A third letter, from their son, Thomas P., also seems to indicate that they immigrated in 1853 and were married immediately before they left Ireland.
A letter from the Kildare Heritage Center puts the date of their marriage at 27 February 1854. This seems more likely. John would have been about 23 and it was only 1 year before the birth of their first child in 1855.
I lend the most credence to the 27 February 1854 date, as it comes from church records. (The researcher double-checked the date for me when I questioned it.) The two other dates should not be discounted however. They may be clues to other events, or one may even be the correct marriage date.6 Julia C. Hyland died on 22 August 1907 at Frostburg, Allegany County, Maryland, USA, at age 80.7,8 She was buried on 26 August 1907 at St. Michael's Catholic Cemetery, Frostburg, Allegany County, Maryland, USA.7,8
Last Edited=10 Jul 2007
Children of Julia C. Hyland and John Charles Keating
- Catherine Elizabeth Keating+ b. Dec 1855, d. 8 Apr 1912
- Mary E. Keating+ b. Jan 1857
- Thomas Patrick Keating+ b. 29 May 1859, d. 13 Feb 1946
- Sister Julia A. Keating b. 8 Oct 1861, d. 24 Jun 1948
- Sister Theresa Keating9 b. c 1864, d. bt 1896 - 1907
- Sister Agnes Keating b. 8 Feb 1867, d. 9 Dec 1958
- John William Keating+10 b. 20 May 1870, d. 10 Jun 1941
- [S388] Julia Keating, Julia Keating Death Record, "Mother: Julia Hyland."
- [S79] Letter, Sister Agnes Keating to Jeremiah A. Counihan, 15 Aug 1948, "My dear Father and Mother [...] John Titus Keating [...] Julia Ann Hylund."
- [S157] 1880 U.S. Federal Census, Mount Savage, Allegany County, Maryland, Page: 318A; Enumeration District: 13; Image: 0037, "[Keating] Julia [...] 52 [...] Ireland."
- [S158] 1900 U.S. Federal Census, Frostburg, Allegany County, Maryland, Page: 19A; Enumeration District: 108, "Kating Julia [...] Mar 1827, 73 [...] N. Iarland."
- [S388] Julia Keating, Julia Keating Death Record, "Julia Hyland [...] Kildare, Ireland."
- [S17] Letter, Karel Kiely The Kildare Heritage Project to John W. Keating III, "Ballymore Eustace RC parish: John Keating married Julia Hyland on 27.02.1854. Witnesses were Michael Curran & Celia Fennelly."
- [S7] Frostburg Mining Journal, 31 August 1907, 31A, "Died:
At the residence of John Counihan, this place, Thursday evening, August 22, 1907, Mrs. Julia Keating, aged 82 years. Mrs. Keating, born in Ireland, came to this country in 1852, and here she reared several daughters and sons, surviving as follows - Mrs. John Counihan and Mrs. Patrick Cronin, of this place; Misses Agnes, of Stamford, Conn., and Julia, of Seattle, Washington - the two latter being Sisters of the Order of Good Shepherd, and Messers. John Keating, of this place, and Thomas P., of Newport News, Va. A devoted communicand of St. Michael's Church many years, she was held in high esteem for her many Christian qualities. The latter years of her life brought suffering, but she bore it with the Christian's resignation and the Christian's faith. The funeral, held at St. Michael's Monday, was largely attended. In the cemetery she was laid beside her husband, 13 years gone before."
- [S466] Julia C. Keating Gravestone, St. Michael's Cemetery, St. Michael's Cemetery, Frostburg, Allegany County, Maryland, USA, "Julia C. Keating / Native of County Kildare, Ireland / Died Aug. 22, 1907 / Aged 82 Years / May Your Soul Rest In Peace."
- [S157] 1880 U.S. Federal Census, Mount Savage, Allegany County, Maryland, Page: 318A; Enumeration District: 13; Image: 0037, "[Keating] Theresa [...] 16 [ Daughter] Maryland."
- [S68] Death Record for John William Keating, June 10, 1941, "Mother Maiden name: Julia Hylan [sic], Birthplace: Ireland."